Monday 3 January 2011

Day 3-Somerley 10k

I woke up early after a restless sleep following a sharp kick in the lower back. My youngest, Fred had taken refuge in our bed at 5am following a number if vivid nightmares about fireworks...

Following a strong black coffee, I did a little yoga. I love it first thing in the morning when the house is quiet and still (a rare thing!) I felt sad for a moment because our elderly tabby cat (Timmy) wasn't in his usual spot on the sofa - he passed away just before Christmas.

After some toast and honey I drove to collect one of the runners I coach (Jane) from her house and drove down to Ringwood in the New Forest together.

There were a few snow flurries as we did the usual pre race rituals of queuing for the toilet, twice, eating an (over ripe) banana, adjusting the sports bra a few times(Shock Absorber Run)and sipping luke warm water from a SIS bottle.

The race was two laps around the grounds of a stately home to raise funds for the Wessex Autistic Society.

Liz Yelling started the race (and shortly after won it). Also spotted Martin Yelling who was babysitting and looking very fit at the same time.

It was my lady's first ever 10k and I felt very proud of her as she overtook a number of runners in the last three kilometres and did a sprint finish!

Some of the other runners I coach were cheering from the sidelines as Jane finished which was heart warming. It was great to run and not feel under pressure myself and enjoy seeing Jane achieve her goal. We also made a few friends along the way including many cheerful marshalls and Gaynor a very glamourous runner who must have been in her seventies (inspiring!)




We both enjoyed the Mars bar at the finish and post race free (ouch) sports massage. My Achilles is still a bit sore.



Happy running everyone.
Day 3-6.2 miles running.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Ringwood

Here is a summary from Running Free:


See the activity on RunSaturday
Type:Run - Race
Duration:1:13:52
Distance:6.26 mi

No comments:

Post a Comment